In our Aug 18 blog post, Transform HR into a strategic business function , we talked about the strategic importance of the Human Resources function. FYI - here's a good blog on HR transformation from Andy Spence.
Shortly after I wrote that, I read a brilliant article entitled The Metric System in CFO magazine regarding workforce analytics.
It covers some interesting topics in-line with strategic HR:
- productivity within Starbucks (see related article in BusinessWeek on how Howard Shultz had to embrace performance measurement)
- HR has settled into a ‘comfort zone’
- Senior management wants to know why HR can’t behave more like its functional siblings (IT, purchasing)
- HR involvement in planning & forecasting
- meaningful HR metrics need context
- Tie out to strategic goals
- scope of focus
Also see our related blog entry: Key Performance Indicators for Human Resources